Places of Interest
Archeological & Historical Site in Corfu
The Ancient Site of Palaiopolis: Is located near Mon Repo. Palaiopolis was the ancient agora of Corfu (Kerkyra) Island. The most noteworthy monuments of the site are: the agora (market), the Doric style Temple of Kardakios, the Roman baths and Post-Hellenistic curved building. On the site is a museum where findings from the area are exhibited.
The Old Fortress of Corfu town: This was built by the Venetians upon the remains of a Byzantine castle and was completed in two stages. During the first period (1400-1500) the Venetiants strengthened the Byzantine walls and dug the Contra Fossa moat, turning the promontory into an artificial island accessed by a movable bridge. In more recent times the Contra Fossa became notorious as the classic site of romantic suicides.The second period (16th-18th centuries) began with the completion of this work (1546-1588) and ended with the additions and alterations made by British.
The New Fortress of Corfu Town: The construction of the New Fortress in Corfu town began in 1576 and was completed in 1645. The fortress overlooks the old port and is considered a masterpiece of fortress architecture. The most significant attractions of the New Fortress are: the British barracks, the underground stoats, water ducts, ammunition storage rooms, etc. The Museum of Ceramic Art is housed there.
Kanoni – Mouse Island: World famous Kanoni is situated south of the Palaiopoli peninsula. It was named Kanoni after the battery of artillery established by French in 1798. One of the battery’s cannons still stands at the tourist kiosk. In front of Kanoni is the Monastery of Vlaherna, linked to the mainland by a cement dock and built in the 17th century.
Splianada Square & Liston: Splianada Square is the main square of the island and the central meeting spot for locals and visitors, situated in Corfu town centre. It was constructed to resemble the European Royal Gardens. It is the largest square in the Balkans and one of the largest in Europe. During the summer months, symphonic orchestras perform at the kiosk that is situated in the square. Nest to Splianada Square in Liston, a wide promenade with French and Venetian style buildings, which is always full of people enjoying drink of snack at one of Liston’s many cafes.
Achillion Palace: Located in the village Gastouri, approx. 10km from Corfu Town, Achillion Palace was built for the Empress of Austria Elisabeth Von Wiltelsbach (more familiarly known as Princess Sissy), by the Italian Architect Raffaele Carito in 1892. Princess Sissy was captivated firstly from the natural beauty of the island of Corfu and then by Greek Mythology. Her love for the mythology made her name the mansion “Achillion” after the Greek Mythological hero Achilles. Throughout the Palace and its grounds there are statues of the Olympian gods and the 9 musses. A huge statue of Achilles stands in the gardens and another on the outdoor stairwell. On the terrace there are busts of Greek writers and scholars. Inside the Palace much of the furniture is engraved with Greek Gods and mythological tales. After Princess Sissy’s death, Kaiser Wilhelm II bought the palace and used it as his summer house until WWII.